2014 was supposed to be so different for Malaysia in travel terms, as in May the all new KLIA2 airport opened, which is a remarkable facility and a world beating example to all competing low cost airports.
Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) is essentially a well designed low-cost carrier terminal some 45kms from Kuala Lumpur city centre. The terminal is situated just 2kms from KLIA's Main Terminal Building. Moreover, it possesses its own runway and air traffic control tower.
KLIA2 was built to cater for the massive growth of low cost travel in the region and has become the default hub of Asia's largest and the world's best low cost carrier Air Asia. It replaces the temporary structure of the former LCCT, which was fraught with complaints and disapproval. KLIA2 started commercial operations on 1st of May 2014 and all low-cost carrier flight operations at LCCT were moved accordingly.
The interesting fact about the airport is the low electricity use design, meaning in real terms the airport maintenance cost is low.
Here's some fascinating statistics about KLIA2:
- A built-up area of 257,000 sqm
- 68 departure gates
- 8 remote stands
- 80 aerobridges
- A retail space of 35,000 sqm
- 160 retail food and beverage outlets (main terminal)
- Additional 170 outlets at the Gateway@klia2
- 4 check-in islands
- 128 Common User Passenger Processing System (CUPPS) check-in counters, identified by letters S to Z - 55 self-service check-in kiosks
- 14 Royal Malaysian Customs checkpoints with 7
If that fits not impress you the terminal has an airport Sky Bridge, the first such structure in Asia and the third in the world.
- 5 piers
- Indicated by the letters J K for domestic flights
- L, P & Q for international flights.
- J, K & L are connected directly to the main terminal
- Piers P and Q are accessible via the skybridge.
KLIA2 is equipped with a dedicated 4 km runway (Runway 3) with a 2.2 km separation distance from Runway 2 at KLIA. This allows simultaneous aircraft take-off and landing operations, the first of its kind in the region.
Gateway@klia2 is an integrated airport inside a Shopping mall complex that had a 8-storey high car park with literally thousands of spaces.
KLIA2 is connected with the Express Rail Link (ERL) service at the adjoining Gateway@klia2 complex, and the service offers seamless connectivity to the heart of Kuala LUMPUR, which terminates at the KL Sentral station in the city. The Gateway@klia2 complex also accommodates all public transport services serving klia2, including buses, taxis and car rentals.
KLIA2 is equipped with...
KLIA2 is equipped with...
- A state-of-the-art Flight Information Display System (FIDS), Public Information Display System (PIDS), Baggage Information Display System (BIDS)
- Banking facilities including automated teller machines (ATM) and bureau de change
- First aid, 2 clinics, baby care, prayer rooms
- Lounges, postal and courier services
- Sama-Sama Express Hotel (airside)
- The Capsule Hotel, first capsule transit hotel in Asia
Unfortunately the Malaysian Airlines incidents took much of the international attention away from KLIA2, however we hope that things calm down now and world travelers can enjoy the magnificent facilities of KLIA2.