There is a general threat from terrorism in Germany. Such attacks could be indiscriminate, including in public places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. See the Terrorism section of this advice for more details.

You should carry your passport with you at all times. German police have the right to ask to see identification.

Road Travel 
If you wish to drive in Germany you must carry a valid driving licence, insurance and vehicle documents with you in the vehicle at all times. If the vehicle does not belong to the driver, written permission from the registered owner may also be requested.

Local laws and customs

You should carry your valid passport with you at all times. German police have the right to ask to see identification. 

You need a valid passport to enter Germany.

Stays of longer than three months 
If you intend to stay in Germany for three months or more you must register with the German authorities (Einwohnermeldeamt) within seven days of arrival. Those staying in Germany for a short visit are not normally required to register. Hotels are legally obliged to register guests and this information is passed automatically to the Einwohnermeldeamt.
There is no longer a requirement for EU Citizens to apply for a residence permit.

Working in Germany

If you intend to work in Germany, you should obtain detailed information on employment regulations from the German Embassy.

Travelling with children 

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that some countries require documentary evidence of parental responsibility before allowing lone parents to enter the country or, in some cases, before permitting the children to leave the country. For further information on exactly what will be required at immigration please contact the German Embassy.

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for the all activities you want to undertake.

Since 15 June 2007 new legislation on the controls of cash entering or leaving the EU apply in all Member States. Any person entering or leaving the EU will have to declare the cash that they are carrying if this amounts to 10,000 euros or more; this includes cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders, etc. This will not apply to anyone travelling via the EU to a non-EU country, as long as the original journey started outside of the EU nor to those travelling within the EU.