There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. On 16 December 2008, several packs of explosives were dismantled at the Printemps Haussman Department store in Central Paris. No-one was injured. Since 2006 a number of explosions and failed explosions have occurred in Corsica. You are advised to take care, particularly in town centres and near public buildings, and be wary of unattended packages. See the Terrorism section of this advice for more details. 

It is compulsory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket in all vehicles. See the Road Travel section of this advice for details.

More than 14 million British nationals visit mainland France every year (Source: Ministère Français de l'économie et des finances). Most visits are trouble-free. 2,900 British nationals required consular assistance in France in the period 01 April 2006 - 31 March -2007. If you need to contact the emergency services in France call 112.

Local Travel 

Continuing discontent among fisherman in the French channel ports means that there could be further blockades affecting cross-channel transport services. If you are planning to cross the Channel with one of the carriers, or if you are planning to sail to Northern France in a pleasure craft, you are advised to check the latest position before your start your journey.

Road Travel

In-car radar detectors are illegal in France whether in use or not. If caught with one, you are liable to fines and/or, confiscation of the device and the vehicle.


A passport valid for the proposed period of your stay is required for entry to France.

Travelling with children 

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that some countries require documentary evidence of parental responsibility before allowing lone parents to enter the country or, in some cases, before permitting the children to leave the country. 

We strongly recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake.

Legislation on the controls of cash entering or leaving the EU applies in all Member States. Any person entering or leaving the EU will have to declare the cash that they are carrying if this amounts to 10,000 euros or more; this includes cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders, etc. This will not apply to anyone travelling via the EU to a non-EU country, as long as the original journey started outside of the EU nor to those travelling within the EU.