There is a low threat from terrorism. But you should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public areas, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

Finland can be affected by severe cold weather in the winter months, particularly in the North. You should be prepared for harsh conditions and if driving in the winter months cars should be winterised.

Local Travel 
The public transport infrastructure is of a very high standard and very punctual. You can buy a variety of bus, train, tram and metro tickets at stations (bus, train, tram and metro), news kiosks and shops all over the country. Helsinki City Transport offers a service that allows you to order a text message ticket to your mobile phone.

Road Travel 
In 2007 there were 377 road deaths in Finland (source: Liikenneturva, Central Organisation for Traffic Safety in Finland). This equates to 7.1 road deaths per 100,000 of population and compares to the UK average of 5.0 road deaths per 100,000 population in 2007. (Source: DfT, National Statistics).
Driving in Finland during the winter months can be hazardous. Icy road conditions are common. If driving in Finland, your car must be winterised and winter/snow tyres (either studded or non-studded) are a legal requirement from 1 December to 31 March. The local transport system is good and traffic is light.

Visas are not required to enter Finland. 

We recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake.

Emergency number 
The telephone number for emergencies is 112.
Extremes of weather 
Finland, and in particular the north of the country, does get affected by severe cold weather during the winter months. Temperatures can be extremely low and if you visit in winter you should come prepared for these harsh conditions.  

Remember the currency for Finland is the Euro.
Since 15 June 2007 new legislation on the controls of cash entering or leaving the EU apply in all Member States. Any person entering or leaving the EU will have to declare the cash that they are carrying if this amounts to 10,000 euros or more; this includes cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders, etc. This will not apply to anyone travelling via the EU to a non-EU country, as long as the original journey started outside of the EU nor to those travelling within the EU.